EyeMed vision insurance provides affordable health coverage for individuals and families with a nationwide network of more than 40,000 providers. EyeMed provides customers with more affordable annual eye exams, glasses and contact lenses, allowing customers to look stylish while maintaining healthy vision.
EyeMed Vision Insurance Review
According to the CDC, regular eye exams are necessary . Prescribing the right glasses or contact lenses is necessary, but an ophthalmologist can often make an early diagnosis of cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and even seemingly unrelated conditions like diabetes. Checking your eyes should be part of your annual health maintenance routine.
EyeMed vision insurance offers three plans to take care of your eye health without breaking your budget. We included EyeMed in our guide to the best vision insurance companies because the company has the most straightforward online application process, with transparent plan pricing and benefit information. The company is part of the Luxottica Group, which also owns Ray-Ban, Oakley and various designer eyewear companies, as well as LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and other eye care related brands.
- Three vision insurance plans to choose from
- Simple online quotation and application process
- Extensive supplier network
- Mobile Apps and Online Tools to Manage Benefits
- not all states have
EyeMed Vision Insurance Plan
EyeMed vision insurance coverage is divided into three tiers to suit different needs and budgets: EyeMed Healthy, EyeMed Bold and EyeMed Bright. Each level includes an annual eye exam, frames and standard lenses, optional lens treatments and contact lenses. Including only glasses or contact lenses each year, not both, is typical for most vision insurance.
We compared the cost of EyeMed vision insurance in several states and found no differences. However, prices and benefits may vary slightly in the chart below, depending on your state’s regulations.
*Covered optional lens treatments with UV coating, scratch coating, anti-reflection coating and tinting. Other lens treatments are available upon request.eyeemed vision insurance discount
If you pay for EyeMed vision coverage for a full year, you’ll get a 5% discount in most states. The Bold or Bright program offers 40% off the purchase of a second full pair of prescription eyeglasses and 30% off any item not covered by the program’s benefits. Finally, your eyeemed insurance can provide up to 15% discount on the cost of LASIK eye surgery. Before you schedule an appointment, be sure to check with the supplier for discounts to make sure they’re adhering to cost-cutting regulations.
eyeemed vision insurance provider network
EyeMed vision insurance has more than 44,000 locations, with independent providers and well-known optometry companies such as LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Target Optical and Contacts Direct. The EyeMed website has a provider finder tool that lets you find ophthalmologists based on location, procedure time, services, available brands, and other factors. EyeMed vision coverage is not available in Idaho, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, and some counties in Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington.
How to buy eyeemed vision insurance
Signing up for EyeMed vision insurance is as simple as using the quote tool on the website or calling customer service, they are available seven days a week. Quote Online instantly creates a personal account for you, where you can review quotes, request a quote for another plan or apply for coverage. The offer includes full program details and out-of-network benefits, so you can make an informed decision before applying.
EyeMed’s online application process requires only basic information and can be completed in just a few minutes. Once approved, you will receive membership ID and welcome supplies. Your online account becomes your member portal where you can view and manage your benefits.
Using EyeMed Vision Insurance
EyeMed makes using vision insurance simple. You can make an appointment at your convenience and the provider can check your coverage without your member ID. When buying glasses, you can choose any frame.
You can buy glasses at retail locations or on Glasses.com, ContactsDirect, LensCrafters, and other sites. Apply your in-network offer at checkout and you’ll also get free shipping and returns on any order.
eyeemed Vision Insurance Mobile App
The EyeMed Members mobile app helps you manage your vision care on the go. This free app is available for iOS and Android devices, and you can use it to:
- View a copy of your member ID
- Find a supplier
- View your benefits
- Set reminders for vision exams and contact lens refills
- Contact customer service or supplier with two buttons
- Get exclusive savings and more
EyeMed Vision Insurance Complaints
EyeMed received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and was ranked #3 in JD Power and Associates’ 2018 Client Satisfaction Rankings. However, the company has received some critical comments, mostly about claims being difficult to compensate and poor customer service. On Yelp, multiple ophthalmologists said EyeMed lacked support to serve patients effectively. TopTenReviews gave EyeMed a 9.28 out of 10, specifically mentioning the affordability of vision insurance.
eyeemed Vision Insurance Q&A
- How does EyeMed differ from other vision insurers?
- EyeMed offers vision insurance that is affordable and easy to apply for, and offers premium eyewear at a discounted price. EyeMed sponsors an organization called OneSight, which provides vision care services to underserved populations around the world. Ohio-based EyeMed also sends employee volunteers to provide annual eye exams for students in Cincinnati-area schools.
- Is there a waiting period before using EyeMed vision insurance?
- There is no waiting period and you can start using eyeemed vision benefits as early as the policy effective date (usually the first month after the application processing date).
- How do I file a claim with EyeMed Vision Insurance?
- If you are seeing an in-network provider, you do not need to fill out or send to EyeMed. If you go to an out-of-network provider, you’ll need to pay for the service and then submit an electronic reimbursement form. Claim forms can be found on EyeMed’s website where you fill in the details of your vision services and attach a receipt so your claim can be processed.
- How much can I save on eye care with eyeemed vision insurance?
- With EyeMed vision insurance benefits, you can save up to 71% on eye exams, frames, and lenses, although the savings depends on a variety of factors.
- What vision products are not covered by EyeMed Vision Insurance?
- EyeMed Vision Insurance does not cover eye care products such as safety glasses or over-the-counter sunglasses. Please review your plan details for a complete list of exclusions as your state of residence and selected provider may affect coverage.
EyeMed vision insurance can help you and your family get affordable vision care. The company is known for its easy-to-use visual benefits and access to premium brands at lower prices. With an EyeMed policy, you’ll gain instant vision insurance coverage and access to an extensive network of ophthalmologists to ensure healthy vision for years to come.